The World’s 50 Best Bars have been announced, with Melbourne and Sydney favourites making the cut.
They may have just fallen short of the crown in 2016, but London’s American Bar has taken out top honours as number one in the World’s 50 Best Bar of 2017. This decadent watering hole has been serving cocktails in the City of Westminster for 128 years at the famous Savoy Hotel.
Melbourne has once again made it into the list with The Black Pearl, ranking 22nd on the global list. Sydney’s The Baxter Inn also lands a spot on the list, taking a backwards step from last year, falling from 12th position in 2016 to number 45. Sadly there’s no sight of Sydney’s popular Bulletin Place, which last year made the list at number 46.
London bars featured heavily in the World’s 50 Best Bars, with four other UK shakers and stirrers appearing in the top ten, including Dandelyan at number two. Last year’s champion Dead Rabbit Grocery & Grog in New York fell to number eight. Meanwhile Shanghai’s well known Speak Low closed off the top ten.
Located on Brunswick Street, Fitzroy, The Black Pearl opened in 2002 and has spent the past 15 years pouring creative cocktails. Although the trendy bar underwent its first renovations in 2015, this local favourite didn’t loose any of its sophisticated charm nor its street cred.
Don’t feel too dismayed if you can’t make it all the way to London to experience the world’s best. Later this month, The American Bar’s Senior Bartender, Martin Hudak, will touch down in Australia in partnership with Mr Black liqueur as part of The American Bar Takeover.
To start planning your world wide adventure to the World’s 50 Best Bars, click here for more info.
World’s 50 Best Bars 2017
1. AMERICAN BAR AT THE SAVOY HOTEL, LONDON, U.K (Winner of “Best Bar in Europe” and “Best Bar in the World”)
2. DANDELYAN AT THE MONDRIAN, LONDON, U.K
3. THE NOMAD AT THE NOMAD HOTEL, NEW YORK, U.S.A (Winner of “Best Bar In North America”)
4. CONNAUGHT BAR, LONDON, U.K
5. THE DEAD RABBIT, NEW YORK, U.S.A
6. THE CLUMSIES, ATHENS, GREECE
7. MANHATTAN, SINGAPORE, SINGAPORE (Winner of “Best Bar In Asia”)
8. ATTABOY, NEW YORK, U.S.A
9. BAR TERMINI, LONDON, U.K
10. SPEAK LOW, SHANGHAI, CHINA
11. LITTLE RED DOOR, PARIS, FRANCE
12. HAPPINESS FORGETS, LONDON, U.K
13. BAR HIGH FIVE, TOKYO, JAPAN
14. LICORERÍA LIMANTOUR, MEXICO CITY, MEXICO (Winner of “Best Bar in Latin America”)
15. ATLAS, SINGAPORE, SINGAPORE (Winner of “Highest New Entry”)
16. DANTE, NEW YORK, U.S.A
17. ORIOLE, LONDON, U.K
18. BROKEN SHAKER, MIAMI, U.S.A
19. CANDELARIA, PARIS, FRANCE
20. HIMKOK, OSLO, NORWAY
21. THE GIBSON, LONDON, U.K
22. BLACK PEARL, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA(Winner of “Best Bar In Australia” and “Legend of the List”)
23. FLORERÍA ATLÁNTICO, BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA (Winner of “Highest Climber”)
24. OPERATION DAGGER, SINGAPORE, SINGAPORE
25. 28 HONGKONG STREET, SINGAPORE, SINGAPORE
26. TRICK DOG, SAN FRANCISCO, U.S.A
27. SWEET LIBERTY, MIAMI, U.S.A
28. INDULGE EXPERIMENTAL BISTRO, TAIPEI, TAIWAN
29. LOST & FOUND, NICOSIA, CYPRUS
30. BABA AU RUM, ATHENS, GREECE
31. TIPPLING CLUB, SINGAPORE, SINGAPORE
32. BLACKTAIL, NEW YORK, U.S.A (Winner of “Best New Opening”)
33. JERRY THOMAS SPEAKEASY, ROME, ITALY
34. LE SYNDICAT, PARIS, FRANCE
35. TALES & SPIRITS, AMSTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS
36. BAR BENFIDDICH, TOKYO, JAPAN
37. EMPLOYEES ONLY, NEW YORK, U.S.A
38. SCHUMANN’S, MUNICH, GERMANY
39. LA FACTORIA, OLD SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO
40. QUINARY, HONG KONG
41. AVIARY, CHICAGO, U.S.A
42. MACE, NEW YORK, U.S.A
42. NIGHTJAR, LONDON, U.K
44. LINJE TIO, STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN
45. THE BAXTER INN, SYDNEY AUSTRALIA
46. ABV, SAN FRANCISCO, U.S.A|
47. NATIVE, SINGAPORE, SINGAPORE
48. TOMMY’S, SAN FRANCISCO, U.S.A
49. LOBSTER BAR AND GRILL AT SHANGRIL-LA HOTEL, HONG KONG
50. IMPERIAL CRAFT, TEL AVIV, ISRAEL (Winner of “Best Bar in Africa and The Middle East”)