We recently sat down for a chat with Raj Nagra, industry personality and Bombay Spirits Company Global Brand Ambassador. He started his career bar tending and managing some of Australia’s preeminent bars and clubs. Now in his 13th year as an Ambassador, Raj brings unique industry knowledge and experience and has recently been nominated as one of the top ten International Brand Ambassadors of the year. We asked him a few questions about his life and experiences as an Ambassador.
1. What is your favourite place to EAT in Sydney?
Tough question, but through the years Longrain is one of my all time favorites.
2. Where is your favourite place to DRINK in Sydney?
For a cocktail I would say Barber Shop and for a beer either the Lord Dudley or North Bondi RSL.
3. Where is your favourite place to PLAY in Sydney?
Cockatoo Island bar over summer is always a fun day out and something a little different. The staff always has lots of energy and the music and food is fun.
4. What inspired you to go into the bar and drink industry?
Initially the social element I guess, then having several timely mentors that peaked my understanding and interest for he industry
5. What do you think is the best gin cocktail to make at home for family and friends?
The sour is a great family of cocktail and tasty for your family! A drink like the Tom (Gin) Collins is representative of a sour style cocktail, where you’re aim is to balance the sweet, sour and strong components of the drink. This drink is super simple and refreshing, whilst being easy to batch for guests when entertaining. Using this basic recipe, you can also muddle or add in seasonal fruits and herbs for variations.
Bombay Sapphire Collins
2 parts Bombay Sapphire
1 part fresh lemon juice
1 part simple syrup
2 parts soda water
Method: Build and Stir into an ice filled glass
Garnish: Lemon wedge and mint sprig
6. What is your personal favorite cocktail?
Love a good classic martini early evening, or a good Bombay & tonic
7. What has been the most challenging aspect of being an ambassador?
Playing down the role to friends.
8. Any big future plans for Bombay Sapphire here in Sydney?
Yes in fact! We’ll be bringing Bombay Dry gin into the marketplace some time next year. You can also currently find Sapphire East and Bombay Amber in duty free at the airport.
9.What has been your favourite country to work in?
Why Australia of course! Great beaches, bars and restaurants, as well as great fun loving people!
10. Do you remember drinking your first cocktail and what it was?
Yes, and I’m quite embarrassed to say that it was a Black Russian! Which is actually not that bad!