Soak up the sunshine in the great outdoors with this complete picnic guide.
Nothing quite beats getting a group of friends together, finding a picturesque spot and having a picnic. Like the idea but not sure where to start? Here’s our guide on how to nail a picnic in the outdoors.
FIND THE BEST LOCATION
Lucky for us, we have so many incredible picnic spots scattered in and around Sydney and Melbourne that offer the perfect backdrop for a picnic. From expansive gardens to secluded beaches and vibrant pockets of native bushland the locations are endless for a long and leisurely meal in the outdoors. Check out Sydney’s Best Picnic Spots and if you’re in Melbourne here are our top 5 spots: St Kilda Botanical Gardens, Edinburgh Gardens, Fairfield Park Boathouse, Albert Park and Moonlight Creek Picnic Area.
WHAT TO EAT
You need food that’s not only delicious but also easy to carry. Making for the ultimate snack food item at your next picnic is Woolworth’s newest range of dip-flavoured chips. These Macro Wholefoods Market chips come in three tasty flavour varietals, including Hommus with Split Pea Chips, Tzatziki Lentil Corn Chips and Spicy Tomato Salsa Chickpea Corn Chips. The beauty of these is that you don’t really even need to pack dip if you don’t have the room. You can read all about these macro chips here. here.
With your snacks sorted, it’s time to think about the main eating fare. Here are our recommendations for a picnic basket:
- Fresh bread at any picnic is a must. Our go-to is the Miche loaf from Sonoma.
- Your favourite cheese deserves a spot in your picnic basket. Opt for both a hard and soft cheese.
- Ham off the bone sourced from your local butcher or closest supermarket
- Sopressa salumi (either mild or spicy…or both!)
- Cornichons soaked in vinegar. They’re delicious either on their own or added to the sandwich mix!
- Condiments: think wholegrain mustard, garlic aioli and hot sauce for the spice fiends.
- Sausages/your favourite cuts of meat if you’re going to a place that has BBQ facilities.
- Strawberries, pineapple and naval oranges are just some of the fruits that would make for a delicious addition (*hint* make your life that little bit easier by cutting it up and refrigerating in advance).
- Donna Hay’s Salted Caramel Brownie Recipe for those keen on donning their baking hat.
WHAT TO DRINK
- Cape Mentelle wines – there’s so much to love about this Margaret River winery. The wines are not only affordable, but incredibly delicious. Take our advice and pack a bottle of 2017 rosé for your next picnic adventure.
- Milla Cordial – we love this artisan cordial. Sourced from Orange in NSW, it’s made using Aussie fruit and Australian bush ingredients. Think delicious flavours like Lemon, Lemon Myrtle & Kakadu Plum and Apple, Ginger & Rosella.
- Soda Press Co. Grapefruit Soda Syrup – just add soda water to enjoy this artificial free, low sugar beverage on a sunny day outdoors. We’re loving the grapefruit flavour.
- Your favourite bottle of rosé – if you’re after something a little boozy at your picnic, rosé is the perfect accompaniment to a gourmet packed lunch. You can’t go past Pigoud Premiere Vin de Provence Rosé at $16.70/bottle it’s great value. For a locally sourced drop we recommend trying the Signor Vino Rose. Bright and berry driven, this Australian made vino makes for an ideal companion to a day spent by the ocean ($20.00/bottle).
- Pre-made Pimms– Simply pre-make and transport in mason jars for an instant luxe picnic feel.
ESSENTIAL ITEMS TO PACKS
If you’re anything like us, non-food and drink related items usually come as an afterthought. Don’t be caught out though. Make sure you bring along those practical items, such as:
- Picnic rug
- Fold out chairs (for those not willing to mingle in the grass)
- A sharp cutting knife
- Chopping board
- Paper towels
- Plastic bags (for rubbish and leftovers)
DON’T FORGET THE TUNES
Just because you’re outdoors doesn’t mean you can’t bring the tunes with you. We’re big fans of the UE Boom Portable Bluetooth Speaker. Try this Spotify play list for some pre-mixed picnic vibes.
This article is proudly presented in partnership with Macro Wholefoods from Woolworths. Thank you for supporting the partners that make Eat Drink Play possible.