Struggling to find creative date ideas while in isolation? Rekindle the spark (without leaving your apartment) with these at-home date night ideas.
While living with your partner can be a blessing during the lockdown of COVID-19, spending endless nights mindlessly binging episodes on Netflix is one way to kill the romance pretty fast. Without our usual date-night options like heading out for dinner or seeing a live show, many of us are finding it hard to keep the spark alive at home. So, why not give some of these creative at-home date night ideas a try?
Although we love order takeaway (here’s a guide to some of our favourite restaurants now offering to-go menus), now is also a great time to get creative in the kitchen. With extra time on our hands, why not try to whip up a gourmet multi-course dinner or get stuck into a challenging new recipe? Why not make DIY sushi and get everything you need delivered to your door from the team at Zushi? If you need some inspiration, check out Eat Drink Play’s recipe collection here.
Explore a virtual museum
We might not be able to swing by galleries or museums for a little while, but there are still plenty of ways to get your dose of culture (even from your couch). Here are some world-class museums now offering virtual tours:
- London’s British Museum (their original national museum) is opening its door to the world with virtual online tours.
- Head to New York’s Guggenheim Museum for incredible virtual tours of impressive art.
- Visit the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam from home, with a virtual tour of their collections of classical Dutch art, Asian artifacts and so much more.
- Get lost in Paris’ Musée d’Orsay, holding one of the largest collections of Impressionist and post-Impressionist work in the world.
Grab the board games
Put the tech away and switch the screen for a old fashioned board game. There’s plenty of options to choose from and this is guaranteed to provide hours of entertainment. Test your grammar and vocabulary with a match of Scrabble or get competitive with a game of Monopoly. Why not add an extra incentive by adding a prize or reward for the winner?
Get moving with a dance class
We don’t need to remind you that finding ways to break a sweat from home is super important. But working out at home doesn’t have to be a chore. In fact, why not make it a fun date-night activity by taking part in a dance class together? Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Keep your body moving and test your flexibility with Sydney Dance Company’s virtual dance studio.
- The team from FIFD, one of Australia’s favourite dance events companies, is hosting live dance parties every week (LIVE every Friday night from 6pm AWST).
- Get moving with adult ballet classes now streaming online from The Australian Ballet.
- Dance around your living room to a live set from Hot Dub Time Machine, streaming Saturday nights from 7pm.
Spruce up your space with urban gardening
Whether you’ve got a backyard, deck or even a tiny inner city balcony, spend some time adding a bit of living colour to your space with a gardening day. Order plants and pots online and click and collect from your nearest Bunnings or garden centre. Plus, why not start a herb garden so you’ll always have delicious herbs on hand for your next meal?
Challenge each other to a cocktail making competition
We all need a drink right now. So, why not turn your date night into an impromptu cocktail making competition? Stock up on cocktail essentials (or use whatever you’ve got in your fridge) to whip up delicious drinks. Need some cocktail inspiration? Check out Eat Drink Play’s drink recipes collection here.