Craving a quick and easy iso snack? Look no further than Dan Hong’s Cheeseburger Spring Rolls recipe.
Can’t decide between a cheeseburger and spring roll? Why not have both? That’s exactly what chef Dan Hong has created for Potts Point’s Asian bar and eatery Ms Gs. The cheeseburger spring roll has been a staple on the venue’s menu, and has been the most requested recipe from Hong’s fans on Instagram.
With over 85,00 followers on Instagram, Hong has started sharing his favourite recipes with his follower using IG TV videos. His latest video reveals the secret recipe for these oh-so-delicious cheeseburger spring rolls, a revolutionary snack that will change the way you cure boredom (and hunger) forever.
Ready to get cooking? Check out the full recipe for Ms G’s cheeseburger spring rolls, shared by Dan Hong, below!
Ms G’s Famous Cheeseburger Spring Rolls Recipe
- 400g premium beef mince (80 per cent meat; 20 per cent fat)
1 white onion, finely diced
½ cup Polish-style dill pickles, finely diced
1 packet (12 slices) “hamburger cheese”, such as Dairylea Burger Cheese Slices
¼ cup Heinz Tomato Ketchup
2 tablespoons American mustard (Hong uses French’s)
1 egg (to seal)
Vegetable oil for deep-frying
For the filling:
- Shape the beef mince into a giant patty, big enough to fit in an oven-safe frying pan.
- Season the patty on both sides with salt and then gently slide it into the pan over high heat. Use a spatula to press it down. Cook the first side for two to three minutes, until it starts to caramelise.
- Drain the excess oil from the pan into a separate bowl, then flip the patty over. Cook the second side for a further minute, then transfer the pan into an oven preheated to 220C for four minutes until the centre is medium-well.
- After taking the patty out of the oven, transfer the meat onto a plate, and allow it to cool completely in the fridge.
- Once it’s completely cooled, break the chilled cooked patty in a large bowl into mince-like pieces, leaving a few bigger chunks in the mixture for texture.
- Finally, add the chopped onion, diced pickles, mustard, ketchup, and cheese to the bowl, mixing with your hands until combined.
For the spring rolls:
- Place the sheet on a plate in a diamond position, then spoon about two tablespoons of the filling above the corner that’s pointed towards you.
- Fold corner over filling, roll halfway, then fold the left and right sides in, then continue rolling the spring roll tightly away from you, brushing the final corner with beaten egg to seal it.
- Once all the spring rolls are folded, heat a pot of vegetable oil to 200C. Next, slowly place them into the oil but don’t overcrowd the pot with spring rolls.
- Cook the spring rolls for about two minutes, or until crispy and golden. Serve and enjoy!
Want to cook along with Dan Hong? Check out his how-to cooking tutorial here on Instagram.