The cooler months are made for comforting bowls of pasta. If you need some culinary inspiration, check out Chef Orazio D’Elia’s innovative Downtown Spaghetti Carbonara.
Think you’ve tried carbonara? Think again. This non-traditional carbonara recipe has been curated specifically by Matteo’s Head Chef and Co-Owner Orazio D’Elia for the group’s new CBD venue, Matteo Downtown. Expect a lighter version of this Italian classic, perfect for a quick and easy midweek meal. Check out the full recipe below!
- 500g of spaghetti (or fresh egg pasta)
- 200g guanciale, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 100g pecorino, finely grated
- 200g Parmigiano Reggiano, finely grated
- 4 egg yolks
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Bring 5L of water to the boil, add salt to your liking and cook until al dente.
- Heat oil in a frypan over medium heat. Gently sweat the guanciale, stirring until beginning to crisp. Set aside a spoonful of guanciale for garnish.
- With the remaining guanciale, scoop a couple of ladles from the salted boiling water to your saucepan – making sure you scoop the foam (this will emulsify with the pork).
- Reserving some of the cooking water, drain and add the spaghetti. Toss well over the heat so that it soaks up all the flavour!
- Add a splash of cooking water and toss well, season with pepper. Slowly add in the pecorino and Parmigiano Reggiano, tossing occasionally until it’s nice and glossy.
- Serve pasta amongst bowls, garnish with guanciale and top with egg yolks. Serve with an extra twist of pepper!
- Once in front of you, mix through the egg yolk.