Chef Danny Russo shares his Cannellini Bean Fingers recipe using legumes from Europe
Are you on the lookout for delicious, healthy, and budget-friendly ingredients that can transform your meals? Look no further than the humble yet versatile canned legumes. With prices of fresh produce skyrocketing in Australia, it’s time to embrace nature’s pearls and discover the exciting flavours and diverse culinary possibilities they offer.
To help you unlock the true potential of canned legumes, we’ve teamed up with the acclaimed Italian-Australian chef, Danny Russo, who has crafted an extraordinary selection of recipes for you to try at home. Get ready to tantalise your taste buds with the Cannellini Bean Fingers recipe below, as well as BBQ Scallop & Borlotti Puree, Duck Skewers & Black Bean Salsa, BBQ Octopus & Charcoal Chickpea Puree, Pasta Fagioli, and Zucchini Flowers.
Recipe (10 portions)
250g risoni pasta
480ml vegetable stock, hot
1 tin Bella Napoli cannellini beans
120g brown onion diced finely
2 cloves garlic crushed
180g parmesan grated
40g parsley leaf picked and fried until crispy
150ml truffle mayonnaise
- Sweat garlic and onion in thick bottomed saucepan until softened and nicely caramelised.
- Add risoni and mix well.
- Drain and rinse cannellini beans and add to saucepan and stir well through risoni mix.
- Gradually add warmed vegetable stock adding a ladle at a time and cook out the liquid, like a risotto. Don’t allow the liquid to evaporate too fast.
- Keep adding the stock until finished, and liquid has been absorbed.
- Take off the heat and add 80g of grated parmesan, mixing until it has blended into the mix and reserve the rest for serving.
- Spray the base of the standard 2.5cm deep gastro tray with canola spray
- Pour the risoni mix into the tray and smooth out so it’s completely levelled out. Set aside to chill.
- Portion into 8cm long x 2cm wide pieces.
- Flour gently and fry until golden brown exterior. Allow to cool and drain on a paper towel
- Fry parsley leaf. Allow to cool and drain on a paper towel.
- Present with a teaspoon of truffle mayonnaise on flat length end of finger, grated parmesan, and parsley leaf to finish off.