Kitchen Warehouse is upping Australia’s kitchen game one air fryer at a time. Plus, they’ve gone and shared the recipe for the best French fries we’ve ever tasted.
Imagine arriving home after a long day of work and being able to cook a meal at the speed of a microwave, with the rich flavour and crispy texture of a deep fryer, and the low-calorie benefits of a steamer. Imagine no more because the future is here and its air fried.
Without a doubt, the best thing to come from the 2020s is the evolution of everyone’s favourite kitchen gadget. Google ‘air fryer memes’ and you’ll quickly realise they have amassed a cult following. So if you’ve been waiting on a sign from the universe to make your first air fryer purchase, here it is.
When we’re not out wining and dining our way through Sydney, we like to get creative in the kitchen, restoring balance to our lives and plates. But we refuse to let this dampen our hankering for all things yum. Using just a spray of oil, the air fryer is a great way to satiate your deep-fried cravings without the fat and with up to 80% fewer calories!
How Does It Work?
Think of it like a turbo-powered convection oven. Super-hot air circulates within the cavity and the food is cooked by the hot air flowing around it, similar to deep frying but instead of oil, it uses air. This technology allows the heat to be uniformly distributed, resulting in evenly cooked food, in less time.
Basket Air Fryer vs. Air Fryer Oven
There are two main types of air fryers available: basket fryers and oven fryers. Although both essentially do the same job, they do have a couple of different features.
With basket air fryers, your tasty morsels are dropped in to removable baskets (similar to deep fryer baskets) which hold the food while it cooks. Air fryer ovens work in much the same way except instead of a basket, the food is held within racks. Unlike basket air fryers, air fryer ovens also have added cooking functions, such as bake, toast, rotisserie and broil.
There is no end to what you can make with your air fryer. It can bake, grill, roast and fry anything from crispy, golden fried chicken, shrimp, onion rings, or whatever your hungry heart desires. We’ve even spotted some decadent dessert recipes we can’t wait to test out.
But let’s face it if we’re enjoying our tastiest treats, guilt-free, top of our list is going to be the humble French fry. We have tried and tested this foolproof recipe (more than once) to bring you the best (and healthiest) citrus and herb air fried French fries.
Healthiest French Fries Recipe From Kitchen Warehouse
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (or a non-flavoured oil of choice)
- ½ tsp Italian dried herbs
- ½ tsp homemade citrus salt
- Cut the potatoes to a shoestring thickness and soak for 30 minutes in a bowl of water.
- Preheat the air fryer to 180°C.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander and pat until completely dry.
- Toss with 1 tablespoon of oil and spread them evenly in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Cook for about 10 minutes,
- shaking the basket about halfway through to ensure even cooking.
- Lay the French fries out on a sheet tray and let them cool completely.
- Once cool, preheat the air fryer again to the same temperature and toss the fries with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Sprinkle over the Italian herbs and add to the air fryer. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until crispy and golden.
- Remove from the air fryer, sprinkle over the homemade citrus salt and serve.