Missing your favourite Japanese joint? Why not create the seafood classic of sashimi at home with this recipe from chef Matteo Zamboni.
As the Executive Chef at the waterfront venue, Jonah’s, Matteo Zamboni knows a thing or two about creating delicious seafood dishes. To help you recreate the famous dish of sashimi from the comfort of home, Zamboni shares his recipe to crafting a perfect dish of Barramundi Sashimi. Read the full recipe below!
Created by: Matteo Zamboni, Jonah’s
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 300 grams sashimi-grade Australian barramundi fillet
- 150ml buttermilk
- 1 small purple cauliflower
- 1 small Lebanese cucumber
- 15g caviar
- 2 bunches of mint
- 25ml Thai fish sauce
- 1 lemon
- 80ml olive oil
- Marinate barramundi fillet in fish sauce and lemon zest for about 30 minutes.
- Blanch the mint leaves for one minute in boiling water and cool down in ice and water. Leave a few leaves aside for garnish. Strain and squeeze blanched leaves before blending them in a food processer with oil until smooth.
- Season buttermilk with a few drops of lemon juice and a touch of salt.
- Slice barramundi in thin slices and lay them on a flat place.
- Peel cucumber and dice into 2cm thick rounds. Season with fish sauce marinade and place cucumber on plate, alternating with barramundi slices.
- Mix mint oil and buttermilk and pour a good amount around the plate. Grate cauliflower with a cheese grater over top of dish. Sprinkle caviar over fish and garnish with mint leaves to finish.