Chef Danny Russo shares his BBQ Scallop recipe with salsa verde & borlotti puree using legumes from Europe.
Are you on the lookout for delicious, healthy, and budget-friendly ingredients that can transform your meals? Look no further than the humble yet versatile canned legumes. With prices of fresh produce skyrocketing in Australia, it’s time to embrace nature’s pearls and discover the exciting flavours and diverse culinary possibilities they offer.
To help you unlock the true potential of canned legumes, we’ve teamed up with the acclaimed Italian-Australian chef, Danny Russo, who has crafted an extraordinary selection of recipes for you to try at home. Get ready to tantalise your taste buds with the BBQ Scallop & Borlotti Puree recipe below, as well as Cannellini Bean Fingers, Duck Skewers & Black Bean Salsa, BBQ Octopus & Charcoal Chickpea Puree, Pasta Fagioli, and Zucchini Flowers.
It’s important to note that not all legumes on the shelf are equal, and Europe is renowned for producing the finest quality and flavoursome legumes in the world. Chef Danny Russo uses legumes from Europe, knowing they can elevate any dish by adding incredible flavour, texture and a dose of essential nutrients. Curious about the world of legumes and want more recipes? Find out more here.
Recipe (10 portions)
10 scallops in the half shell
100g brown onion finely diced
1 tin Bella Napoli borlotti beans
100g diced fresh tomato
4 cloves garlic – finely crushed/chopped
200ml extra virgin olive oil
5g sea salt
3g cracked pepper
1 piece bread roll
50ml white wine vinegar
8 pieces anchovy fillets finely chopped
50g capers finely chopped
50g cornichons finely chopped
2 bunch parsley finely chopped
2 pieces hard-boiled egg yolks finely chopped
10g Dijon mustard
- Drain and rinse borlotti beans.
- Gently heat a saucepan with 50ml EVOO and gently sauté the 2 crushed garlic cloves and onion slowly until soft and cooked through.
- Add tomato and sauté further until all ingredients have mixed and cooked well together.
- Add borlotti bean and fold in and cook slowly for 3 mins.
- Add all to processor and blitz until smooth and creamy. Season to taste.
- Break up the bread and soak it in vinegar for a few minutes, then squeeze out all excess liquid and crumble into a food processor.
- In a bowl, add the breadcrumbs, anchovies, 2 finely crushed garlic cloves, egg, parsley, capers, cornichons, mustard and mix well.
- Slowly add 150ml EVOO, mixing to emulsify the salsa.
- Adjust the seasoning by adding vinegar and pepper.
- Heat grill to medium-high and place scallop shell side down, with a sprinkle of EVO and cook until scallops have just cooked through and have lost most translucence.
- Set aside with shell on serving platter.
- Spoon borlotti puree onto scallops.
- Finish with a tablespoon of salsa verde.
Sponsored Love. This post is proudly brought to you in partnership with Legumes from Europe. Thank you for supporting the partners that make Eat Drink Play possible.