There was one thing lacking in the Sydney dining scene and that was traditional Czech cuisine. Thankfully Jakub Kosik & Petra Kanalosova took up the challenge and opened Bohemian European eatery, Beast & Co in December 2020. Located in the heart of Surry Hills, Beast & Co, is your modern bohemian local bringing European cooking, flavours and techniques to Sydneysiders.
Beast & Co’s refined and seasonal menu focuses on local produce coming from earth, lands, rivers and the seas, taking inspiration from Petra and Jakub’s traditional Czech family recipes – with a modern twist. As we head into the colder months, their team has been kind enough to share one of their favourite recipes. The perfect comfort food for those colder nights, or as a dish that you can cook to impress friends over a glass of red.
Slovakian-born Head Ched, Jozef Kysel, has taken one of Petra & Jakubs traditional Czech family recipes and put his own twist on this Pan-Fried Duck Breast with Braised Red Cabbage – Enjoy!
Pan-fried Duck Breast (4 people)
- 4 medium size Duck Breasts
- Salt & Pepper
- Take the breasts out from the fridge for at least 10-15 min before cooking
- Season them with salt and pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C
- Put a large oven proof fry pan on a low heat (do not pre-heat)
- Immediately put the breasts in, skin side down (NO OIL)
- Gradually increasing the heat, every 2-3 minutes till high heat
- Let it fry for about 7 minutes or till the skin is starting to be golden brown and the fat is rendered down
- Turn the breasts over and sear them for about 30sec
- Skin back down and place the pan into the oven for about 6-8min for a medium-rare
- Take it out, transfer on a plate skin side up and let it rest for about 4-6min
- Slice it on a few thick slices with a sharp knife and place it on the top of your braised red cabbage
- Add a few black berries and spoon over some quality red wine jus
Braised Red Cabbage (4 people)
- 1 Whole medium size Red Cabbage
- 2 tbs of Duck fat
- 3 Bay leaf
- 2 tbs Carraway seeds
- 250 ml Water
- 2 tbs Caster sugar
- 0.5 tbs Salt
- 50 ml White Wine Vinegar
- Pepper to taste
- Handful of Red Grapes
- Thick slice all the red cabbage
- Heat up a large pot with a 2 spoons of duck fat
- Once the pot is hot add carraway seeds and roast it for a minute
- Add the sliced red cabbage and let it roast for 5 minutes or until is started to break down
- Once the cabbage has started to break down, lower the temperature to low heat, add in bay leaf, pepper, water, sugar, vinegar, salt and mix well to combine
- Continue to cook on a low heat for about 20 minutes with a lid on
- Add halved red grapes, mix well, and cook it for another 10 minutes
- Season to taste
Located in Surry Hills on Bourke Street, Beast&Co is a place that brings back memories of your European holiday or makes you want to go on one.
Find Beast & Co. at 425 Bourke Street, Surry Hills
Open Wed-Fri 5pm till late, Sat 11am till late and Sun 11am till 10pm.
Happy hour runs from 5-7pm Wednesday to Sunday, offering $6 house wines, $8 large tap beers and $10 classic cocktails.
Looking for something a little more special? Beast&Co offers a bottomless brunch (11am till 5pm), Cocktail Thursday – 5 mini cocktails paired with delicious food and a unique “dining in the dark” experience 6-8pm every Wednesday.