Forget big, ugly speakers at your next event. The Ultimate Ears Megaboom is the event hack you need to know about.
If you’re in the events industry or just love planning parties you would have had to hire speakers at some point in your #eventlife. For me, the challenge is often how to hide the sound system and incorporate speakers into my styling. Bulky black boxes don’t tend to work well with a garden party themes or pretty picnics. For a number of years I’ve used an Ultimate Ears Boom speaker for my personal use. It’s great for the beach or using over a dinner party. I then thought of using the larger, louder Ultimate Ears Megaboom speaker for events.
Here are 7 reasons I love the Ultimate Ears Megaboom
- Easily transportable – The Ultimate Ears Megaboom weighs just 877g, is 8.3cm in diameter and 22.6 cm high. It’s about the same size as a can of tennis balls. You could fit this speaker in your clutch. It’s so easy to transport and doesn’t take up a lot of room. We recently transported six Megaboom speakers on a boat to an island for a picnic and I managed to fit our entire sound solution into one canvas shopping bag. That’s a game changer for me. No paying delivery people to carry giant speakers and stands. No breaking my back trying to move them into position.
- Very durable (and waterproof!)- The Megaboom is completely waterproof, not just water-resistant. You can fully submerse the device in water for up to 30 minutes without damaging the speaker. I haven’t tried it myself but I have dropped my smaller Boom in sand, water and coffee before and it still works perfectly.
- Party time- sync multiple speakers – One Megaboom has a powerful sound on its own. For larger events you can sync over 150 devices at once. We had 50 guests at our island picnic event and used six speakers. The sound quality was great. I’d say once you start accommodating over 150-200ppl at an event outside the sound might not be as rich. Indoor events are a different story. I turned on all six Megabooms in our large office and couldn’t hear myself speak. It can be a little fiddly to sync them initially but then you can manage everything through the app.
- 360 sound solution- The Megaboom has a 360-degree sound, which makes it an awesome portable speaker both indoors and outdoors. A lot of other portable speakers I’ve tried in the past tend to lose their sound quality outdoors and are more one directional. Depending on the device you pair with it, you can stray up to 30 meters away from the speaker and still stream audio. The sound quality is loud with minimal distortion and a rich bass. It does have some limitations with the current bluetooth model range when you sync multiple devices for outdoor use. For a group of 50 people we did have some dropouts if we moved the speaker beyond 20 meters. I understand the new wifi model coming out soon will have far greater range depending on your network.
- Look great and inconspicuous- Ultimate Ears have done a phenomenal job creating a sleek and elegant speaker. As you’ll see in the picture above they can easily be hidden out of sight from your guests. Tuck them away on a shelf, behind a bar, in a plant or even the arches of an umbrella. Best of all they’re cordless so you don’t have a million trip hazards for your guests. It also has a threaded tripod mount should you need to elevate the speakers.
- Battery life– The Ultimate Ears Megaboom doesn’t disappoint in this department, offering up to 20 hours of battery life at moderate volume levels. It’s very easy to charge with the included micro-USB and adapter. Make sure you charge and test your speaker before your event.
- Microphone use- Need to make a speech or want to grab everyone’s attention? You can plug a microphone in via the 3.5mm aux input.
Forget hiring speakers. Here are some of the perfect occasions for using the Megaboom speaker instead:
- House parties
- Dinner parties
- Outdoor picnics
- Anywhere remote that’s hard to bump in- Islands, boats, beaches, places with lots of stairs and no elevator!
- Small conferences where you need to plug in a microphone, use the Megaboom instead of a portable speaker
The Megaboom retails for $349.95 and comes in a range of colours.
To find out more info visit: https://www.ultimateears.com/en-au/wireless-speakers/megaboom.html