Oktoberfest in Sydney?
What to consider when choosing your Oktoberfest feast: Taken from my experience at the Bavarian Bier café at Manly Wharf.
1) Bring a man: It’s best if you enjoy an Oktoberfest fest with a Man who knows his beers and can appreciate the array of 20+ beers on offer. (don’t mean to be sexist) There are chick beers on offer, but really they don’t compare.
2) Location- location: you can’t beat Sunday afternoon watching the sunset whilst sipping a beer. That’s why the Bavierian Bier Café in Manly is a superb spot.
3) Starve yourself before you go? Traditional Oktoberfest meals are known to be grand. Although the Bavarian Bier café was thankfully not about quantity but quality which was a nice change.
4) Order the dish with the longest name: And we found it ‘Munchnier Weisswurfsalat’ which was a Traditional Munich-style salad with cold white sausage. Good combination for a hot afternoon. But not what I expected to be eating.
5) What you must try: Warm Pretzels dipped in butter. I have to say this suggestion by the waiter between the courses was a perfect idea!
6) Do eat like it’s Xmas dinner: Why not? After the entrée I ordered the Braumeister Gaulasch Stew, a bier stew with bacon and dumplings – Fabulous! Hearty flavour and a reasonable serving size so I didn’t feel like I over-ate. Thumbs up.
7) Apple Strudel – it up: A must it’s a perfect end to a Bavarian feast.
8) Try speaking some German to the wait-staff. Not recommended, as something like ‘ thank you for your help’ comes out like ‘ thank you for the hat’
I recently learnt that Oktoberfest is the ‘world’s largest fair with more than 5 million people attending every year. You might not be able to make it to Germany to experience the real thing but at least you can get into some Oktoberfest stein and food right here in Sydney.
BAVARIAN BIER CAFÉ